This post is inspired by my own desire to do more than zone out in front of the television every night. It’s not really a terrible habit of mine, though I do have shows I love – Nashville can’t come back soon enough! This list is for all the nights when we say “We should really do something tonight!”…but actually just end up surfing Netflix.
1. Read : Obvious, I know. Really though, there are a wealth of *sweep you away* stories and mind expanding reads hiding out in your local library. I’m currently loving “The Biology of Transcendence“. Or you might try perusing an inspiring new blog or magazine.
2. Write fan fiction…of your life : Make yourself the star. Dream. Send yourself on adventures. Write a love story. Be ridiculous. Include mermaids.
3. Have a dance party : In your house. In your pajamas or your heels…or both. You should probably have a playlist of your favorite dance music for these occasions.
4. Podcast plus puzzle : One of our favorite combos! We adore The Savage Lovecast paired with any puzzle so complicated that I give up after an hour and my wife obsesses over it for a week.
5. Host a game night : and have a theme! Previous game nights have included Cards Against Humanity with fondue or Madlibs with mulled wine.
6. Volunteer for free show tickets : Scope out the local theatre scene and see if they need volunteers to collect tickets or serve refreshments. So worth it to see a free show!
7. Go for a walk in your neighborhood : Try a new route, go down roads you haven’t explored, spy on your neighbors, but don’t be too creepy.
8. Take a book or your laptop to a nearby coffee shop : Have some tea and change up the scenery!
9. De-stuff : I get a bizarre high from getting rid of things- it makes me feel approximately a million times lighter and like I’m giving myself a fresh start.
10. Flip through old yearbooks, scrapbooks, and photo albums : Giggle at your awkward phases and find some fantastic #throwbackthursday material.
11. Have a spa night : We will occasionally slather our faces with the world’s most intensive, pore sucking, clay mask while blasting Lady Gaga (see #3 above!). We call it “lesbian spa night”, but you should feel free to adjust the name to suit your preference.
12. Have a chocolate tasting party : 10 different kinds. Preferably in the bath. Or in bed.
13. Make the most elaborate dish you’ve pinned on Pinterest: I’ve got my eye on this grain and sugar free, dark chocolate peanut butter layer cake.
14. Sweat your brains out in a sauna : So indulgent, so detoxifying.
15. Get dressed up & take goofy pics with your spouse/partner/roommate : The last time we did this, she drew on a mustache and I had temporay tattoos and red lipstick. So tacky. So fabulous.
16. Play “The Question Game” : It’s just like it sounds. You take turns asking and answering questions, nothing is off limits and it can lead to the most interesting conversations!
17. Do some relaxing evening yoga: Connect with yourself. Let the day go. Try a new YouTube yoga channel on for size.
18. Have a picnic in your living room or backyard : Don’t forget the wine. Don’t forget the goat cheese.
19. Journal : Set a timer and write, stream of consciousness, about what’s working in your life and what’s not. Brainstorm ways to get unstuck.
20. Start a batch of sprouts : I don’t have children and I don’t have pets but I do love my sprout babies.
21. Take a polar bear plunge – Jump into a freezing body of water! It’s invigorating, I promise! Just make sure it’s clean and you’re not ignoring any “no trespassing” signs!
22. Shop for a food you’ve never tried before : Explore a local specialty store or Asian market. May I suggest digging into a durian fruit? If you can get past the smell, it tastes like the best or only garlic custard you’ve ever eaten!
23. Express a new side of yourself : Go to a thrift store and put together something amazing that you wouldn’t usually wear. I used to have a closet full of jeans, hoodies, and BLACK. This year I’ve found myself wearing bright pink pants, girly dresses, and absurdly adorable socks. It’s fun. It’s light. I feel like myself.
24. Utilize Facebook to explore something new : Put it out there that you’re looking for new music or book recommendations and see what comes your way!
26. Explore a fresh perspective : Dive into a book or a blog from someone with a completely different viewpoint and try to see theirs.
27. Create (or refresh!) your bucket list : On my list? Go on a yoga retreat. Play Glinda in Wicked. Stay in a treehouse hotel.
28. Rearrange a room in your house : Sometimes a change of scenery is so refreshing!
29 Star gaze : I don’t know anyone who does enough star gazing. Bonus points if you spouse is space camp alumni and has built their own telescope.
What are your favorite TV – free ways to spend your time?